At a glance:
Location: Franklin County, NY
Size: 106.5 MW
With its excellent wind resources, the town of Chateaugay is an ideal location for a windpark. This 106.5 megawatt (MW) windpark employs 71 GE 1.5 MW turbines.
The Noble Chateaugay Windpark provides the following economic benefits to the community of Chateaugay, Franklin County, and the Chateaugay Central School District:
- The Noble Chauteagay Windpark created hundreds of jobs during the construction phase and several long-term, well-paying jobs when it became operational.
- Noble is committed to hiring qualified residents from the local and regional New York community.
About Wind Energy
- Wind energy is 100% clean and renewable. Unlike fossil fuel power plants, wind energy creates no pollution — no acid rain, no smog, and no mercury, which is a harmful toxin, particularly to women and children.
- The Noble Chateaugay Windpark creates enough clean energy to provide the annual electricity needs of approximately 35,500 homes.
- To make that much energy from coal, you would have to burn 2.45 million tons of coal – over 20 years, that’s a pile of coal 25 acres square and 79 feet deep!
- The Noble Chateaugay Windpark makes tax and town benefit payments to the town of Chateaugay, Franklin County, and the Chateaugay Central School District.
- This money can be used to reduce local taxes and improve local services.
- Lease payments to participating landowners also provide a significant source of income to the local community.