At a glance:
Location: Clinton County, NY
Size: 97.5 MW
With its excellent wind resources, the town of Altona is an ideal location for a windpark. Noble Environmental Power has built a 97.5 megawatt (MW) windpark using 65 GE 1.5 MW turbines.
Over the next 20 years, the Noble Altona Windpark will bring an estimated $75 million to the local economy. The Noble Altona Windpark provides the following economic benefits to the community of Altona, Clinton County, and the Northern Adirondack schools:
- The Noble Altona Windpark created hundreds of jobs during the construction phase, and several long-term, well-paying jobs when it became operational.
- Noble is committed to hiring qualified residents from the local and regional New York community.
- Wind energy is 100% clean and renewable. Unlike fossil fuel power plants, wind energy creates no pollution — no acid rain, no smog, and no mercury, which is a harmful toxin, particularly to women and children.
- The Noble Altona Windpark creates enough clean energy to provide the annual electricity needs of approximately 32,500 homes.
- To make that much energy from coal, over 20 years, you would have to burn 2.21 million tons of coal – it would take a train 251 miles long to hold that much coal!
- The Noble Altona Windpark makes tax and town benefit payments to the town of Altona, Clinton County, and Northern Adirondack schools.
- Lease payments to participating landowners also provide a significant source of income to the local community.
- Over 20 years, the Noble Altona Windpark will create an estimated $75 million in local economic benefits.